Yoga requires some basic equipment. Comfortable clothing that wicks moisture is a must. Shirts that are slightly fitted so they don’t ride up during poses that require a head-down position also are recommended. Other than that, all you really need is a yoga mat.
Why Do You Need a Mat and Towel?
A yoga mat has several purposes. A mat defines your personal space during the yoga session. It keeps your hands and feet from slipping (especially if you sweat). A mat gives some padding against a hard floor. They make especially good weapons… oh, wait, that’s just when your children discover them and use them as light sabers.
Your gym may offer mats for free or for a small rental fee. Just say “no”. Seriously. People have used these before you and they or may not have been washed. I don’t care if a movie star used it, I don’t want to lie in their sweat. This is why you need your own mat. The towel part should be self-explanatory after discussing sweat, but in case it isn’t, you need a towel to absorb the sweat. It also provides a nice clean layer between you and your mat or that mat you rented despite my earlier advice.
What’s So Special about the Yogitoes Skidless Premium Mat-Size Yoga Towel?
There are few things that make this towel special:
- It’s mat-size so your entire mat is covered. (24”x68”)
- It has silicone nubs to prevent slipping.
- The towel is machine washable and may be tumble dried on low heat.
- 80% polyester, 20% nylon for absorbency and fast drying.
The Yogitoes company has been creating and selling yoga accessories since 2003. Founder Susan Nichols created the Skidless Yoga towel after slipping on her mat during a yoga class. Susan strives to give back by supporting orphanages with charity events and fundraisers.
Colors and symbols are important in yoga. They are considered sources of energy. Some people use color to help shift their mood. For example, red or violet hues will help energize you and move your mood in positive direction; blue, green, and indigo colors will calm you and ease tension. The Yogitoes Skidless Premium Mat-Size Yoga Towel comes in the following:
- Butterfly – purple
- Chinese Elements Collection – Earth
- Chinese Elements Collection – Fire
- Chinese Elements Collection – Metal
- Chinese Elements Collection – Water
- Chinese Elements Collection – Wood
- Deity Ganesha – Teal
- Deity Kali Ma – Ma
- Deity Krishna – Copper
- Deity Lakshmi – Poppy
- Deity Vishnu – Gold
- Flamingo – pink
- Frog – green
- Lavender – rape awareness
- Pink – breast cancer awareness
- Seaburst tie dye
- Springburst tie dye
- Sunburst tie dye
- Sutra Collection – Bay
- Sutra Collection – Lotus
- Sutra Collection – Sage
More about Color
When choosing your Yogitoes Skidless Premium Mat-Size Yoga Towel, keep in mind that different colors have different meanings. You should choose one that helps you balance your mind, emotion, and spirituality. These are the meanings of the basic color families:
- Red is a color that energizes. It increases heart rate and brain activity.
- Orange represents joy and wisdom. It can simulate creativity and health.
- Yellow energizes and relieves depression.
- Green is calming and eases anxiety.
- Blue is also calming and cooling.
- Indigo heals. It stimulates our immune response.
- Violet is strengthening and cleansing. It can suppress appetite and help headaches.
Benefits of Practicing Yoga
Yoga has been practiced for literally thousands of years. Approximately 15 million Americans currently practice yoga. There are many types of yoga, and all yield significant physical, mental, and emotional benefits.
- Flexibility – The stretching involved in yoga releases lactic acid buildup in muscles so that they are less stiff and painful. It also eases joint pain.
- Strength – Some of the more vigorous styles of yoga improve strength and tone muscles.
- Posture – Many of the yoga poses help develop the muscles of your core. When these muscles become more stable, your posture improves.
- Decreased Stress – Deep breathing and meditation tend to calm the mind.
- Improved Mood – Increased oxygen to the brain can relieve symptoms of depression.
- Heart Health – Yoga lowers blood pressure and slows heart rate, improving cardiovascular health.
- Concentration – Yoga improves focus and mental concentration.
But What about the Towel?
With all of this discussion of colors and yoga, we really should get back to the matter at hand: the Yogitoes Skidless Premium Mat-Size Yoga Towel. What are people who use these towels saying?
“I love this towel! I have been doing hot yoga for 7 months and finally bought yogitoes towel. Prior to that I was using a yoga mat and bath towel. I didn't see how a towel could be worth $45. I was wrong. This towel helps you from slipping in poses like triangle. If you're on the fence–buy it. You'll love it!”
“Classic no skid towel, significantly reduces slipping during those intense vinyasas, stays flat against mat even when you move and keeps yoga mat clean. Machine wash with like colors and hang to dry. Complete with the orange dot at the top for you to focus on during practice. Highly recommended.”
“I purchased this skidless towel after a friend in the bikram studio recommended it to me. I love it!!!”
“Can't believe I had to go through so much slipping and sliding and my regular towel bunching up everytime I moved in yoga. This towel is the same size as the yoga mat and doesn't budge….I no longer have to stop and readjust it everytime I move. It's a “must have” for anyone doing hot yoga and/or bikram.”
The one negative recurring comment was that some users experienced that the towel colors ran in the wash. The directions clearly state to wash with “like colors” and not all users had this issue. It is not clear whether those with this problem all had similar color towels.
The Yogitoes Skidless Premium Mat-Size Yoga Towel is currently available from Amazon.com. Pricing is dependent upon color/pattern.
If you practice yoga, this towel will keep your mat dry and prevent slipping. No matter the color, pattern, or type of yoga, you will like the Yogitoes Skidless Premium Mat-Size Yoga Towel.