Diets are only good to lose weight in the short-term. In the long-term, the only way to lose weight and keep it off, is a lifestyle change. Here, I am going to give you details of exactly what changes I am making to my lifestyle. While my initial target is to keep to these changes for 30 days, my longer term goals are much more ambitious.
Changing a Lifestyle, is like re-learning how to live
How it was…
The lifestyle before this challenge had the following key elements:
- Almost no exercise. I sit at a computer 7 days a week, for 8-10 hours a day.
- There is no “balance” to my diet. I'll just eat whatever is in the cupboard/fridge. I don't have a sweet tooth, so I don't eat sugary stuff too often, but I hardly ever eat any fruit.
- I'll drink alcohol most nights. Often it is a glass or two of wine, or maybe a couple of beers. However, more than once a week, it would be a lot more than that!!
- I don't drink anywhere near enough water.
How it is going to be for the 30 day challenge…
My lifestyle has to change, and yes it will will dramatic. This is what I have planned:
- Increased physical activity. I am going to do some exercise every day. This will be a minimum of a 40 minutes “quick” walk, but as I progress through the 30 days, I am going to be incorporating visits to the gym for weights, and aerobic exercise on the treadmill, elliptical trainer and bicycle.
- I am going to be eating at least 5 pieces of fresh fruit a day. The easiest way for me to do this is to blend them into a drink, so that is probably what I'll do.
- No alcohol for the 30 day challenge.
- Drink 3-4 litres of water a day, possibly more on days where I do more exercise.
- I'll eat healthy food, low in fat. I am not going to limit any particular food or caloric intake (as you might with a traditional diet), but I am going to make sure the meals are balanced, with good carbs, lots of fresh/raw vegetables, grilled lean meats etc. I see the way I eat as being very important. Instead of stuffing my face, and eating until bloated, I'll follow these simple rules:
- Eat only when hungry.
- Chew the food well, and eat slowly.
- Stop eating before I am full.