Taking your own blood pressure is a ridiculous ordeal. Getting the cuff around your upper arm tightly and smoothly and in the right position is nearly impossible without help. Then just TRY to adjust things so you can see the dial. It’s ridiculous. It’s enough to make you go out and look for a blood pressure monitor that will just do it by itself… sort of like this one. Omron is well-known for its health related technology, so this monitor is a great one to check out.
Omron HEM-711 DLZ Features
- One touch operation
- 60 memory storage with date and time stamp
- ComFit Cuff that is already formed and expandable for ease of use
- Extra-large digital display
How to Take Your Blood Pressure
It’s a good thing this is about an automatic unit because otherwise we’d be talking about listening for when beats start and stop and all kinds of other overwhelming information on how to take a blood pressure… Instead, we have the Omron HEM-711 DLX Automatic Blood Pressure Monitor. Let’s go through the preparation for checking blood pressure with this device:
- Before taking BP: No eating, smoking, exercising for 30 minutes
- Remove tight sleeves from the arm you are going to use
- Sit comfortably, but don’t slouch, in a chair
- Have your feet flat on the floor
Now you’re ready to begin taking your blood pressure:
- Slide your arm through the preformed ComFit Cuff to about a half inch above your inner elbow
- Line up the green mark on the cuff with your artery – you’ll see it as you do it. Your artery is the largest blood vessel slightly to the inside of the middle of your inner elbow. If you leave your arm relaxed, you can feel your pulse there with your other hand.
- Tighten up the cuff with the Velcro – but don’t over tighten
- Place your arm on a table or the arm of a chair so it is at the level of your heart, stable, and able to remain still
- Press the start button with your other hand
- The cuff will auto-inflate
- During this time it is measuring your BP and pulse rate. You will feel the cuff inflate with air. It will feel quite tight, but loosen within a few seconds.
- When it is finished, the cuff will deflate on its own
- Results will appear on the display screen
Omron uses Intellisense technology to inflate the ComFit Cuff to just the right level for every person. It has no presets. It senses how much to inflate for each individual person. Sometimes it feels quite tight at first, but eventually it releases. Try to relax and stay still and the process will go faster. Intellisense allows the cuff to be used by various people with no preconceived numbers.
120/80 is the stereotypical normal blood pressure, but everyone’s varies. See your doctor with your numbers to find out where you are and where you should be. The top number is the amount of pressure your blood has as it is being pushed through your vessels during a heartbeat. The bottom number is the pressure between beats, when your heart is at rest. The bottom number is critical. If this is high, it may be an indicator or blockage or other health issues.
In the Box
When you open the box, you’ll find:
- Omron HEM-711DLX blood pressure monitor
- AC adapter
- Storage case
- ComFit cuff
- Instruction manual
What Did They Say?
Well, everyone has an opinion and as for the Omron HEM-711 DLX Automatic Blood Pressure Monitor, it’s pretty good at 4.1 out of 5 stars. A nurse sent in a review, stating that generally these types of blood pressure monitors are clumsy and difficult to use. She praises the Omron HEM-711 DLX as being stable, easy to use, comfortable, and says that she gives it her seal of approval.
A retired doctor also praised the device and stated that he is confident in the accuracy of the results.
Those who did not like the Omron HEM-711 DLX Automatic Blood Pressure Monitor did not consider the “white coat” syndrome of being more anxious at the doctor’s office that could have contributed to the difference in readings. Some users complained of fluctuations. These may be due to not correctly placing the cuff or taking the readings repeatedly in the same arm immediately after the last one. Hopefully, these users contacted the company or referred to the manual to try to figure out the issues.
The Omron HEM-711 DLX Automatic Blood Pressure Monitor with Comfit Cuff is in stock at Amazon.com and is eligible for free super saver shipping.
The Omron HEM-711 DLX is a high-tech blood pressure monitor for home use. The company has done everything they can to make the process easy for one person to take their own blood pressure.